Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sweet Success.

So I know you all are wondering about the wonderful red velvet, cheesecake, white chocolate pops I tackled yesterday. How did they turn out? Well, let me first say this is not for the casual cook. They were indeed a bit of work to put together, but the end result was definitely sweet success! Delicious sweet red velvet cake, topped with tangy cheese cake, a sweet layer of graham cracker crumbs along with a final swim into the pool of white chocolate love! I know I know, where's the recipe, Well folks, here it is. Pretty simple, recipe, just a bit of work when it comes to the cheesecake part. 

Red Velvet, Cheesecake Pops

Ingredients

1 box red velvet cake mix (Only using half of this, so it's good to cook in two round pans)

3/4 cup of cream cheese frosting ( I just got betty crocker)
1 or two cheesecakes. I used one, and only got half my pops covered
1 pack graham crackers (use food processor to ground up into dust!)
1 lg pack Melt-able white chocolate. ( you know, the kind you get at the craft store in little round discs. Pick the color you want!)
1/4 cup of vegetable oil
lollypop sticks


Ok, here's how it goes. Make your red velvet cake according to the box directions. Your using only half of the cake so I suggest making two rounds and using one of them. Cook cakes on a Cooling Rack and once cooled, break cake up either using a fork or a food processor until you have very find crumbs. 


Next add the frosting to the cake and mix together until it makes a red paste. Using a melon ball gadget or a teaspoon measuring spoon, form balls with your hands of this red mixture and place them on a cookie sheet with some parchment paper on it. Once finished rolling the balls, place the cookie sheet in the fridge to cool. 


Next comes the hard part, the cheesecake. Gulp. Ok, this sounded a lot easier than it actually was. Perhaps a more dry cheesecake would be best for this part of the recipe, but I just had a new york cheesecake I bought at the commissary. Take up some of the cheesecake in your hand and try to pat it into a flat pancake. If you can, this will work great and you can wrap it over half the ball and do it again to cover the other half. But, for me, this didn't work, the more I touched the cheesecake, the more it melted in my hot touch! 

I worked the cheesecake as best I could and they ended up looking like those spickey tree gum balls that are all over my back yard right now, only white. But none the less, I popped them right in the fridge to cool while I handled the next couple steps. Please do the same. Get them suckers in the fridge to cool. 


I then started the ground up graham crackers as well as got my sticks and chocolate ready to melt. I used a double broiler instead of the microwave to melt the chocolate because I feel like i have more control. 


Take the balls of joy out of the fridge and roll them in the graham cracker stuff. You can use your hands now to smooth out the edges of the spikey yummy ball thing and it now looks round again. 


Once your white chocolate is melted, you want to first dip your stick end into it and then insert it into the ball. Once all of them have a stick, put them in the fridge for a few to harden the chocolate. 


Next it's time to put them in the white chocolate jacuzzi of love! Dip and swirl each one around until it's coated and then place it, stick side straight up, on a cookie sheet with wax paper. Refrigerate when finished and then you can serve and enjoy these delicious treats!


Now that my teeth are hurting just thining about it, it's almost time to get started on our dinner. What will I make, a delicious, full flavor chicken breast with fresh basil, sun dried tomatoes, and a disc of goat cheese on top! MmmMmm. I had something like this at Carrabba's recently and just knew I was capable of making the same thing, and I did just that. The goat cheese is so wonderful, rich and tangy my mouth is already watering! 



Stay tuned for more adventures in cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment