Monday, March 21, 2011

Spicy Meat-a-ball!

I know I know, it's been a few days but it's pretty hard to blog about cooking when your husband is pulling through the drive thru at Sonic to grab some dinner. But last night it was back to basics and time for me to jump back on my menu plan and make some delicious spaghetti. Only difference is, my spaghetti doesn't contain spaghetti, only some whole wheat penne pasta. :/ Oh wait! There's more. Yep, you guessed it!! Some Spicy meatballs that are to die for!! MmmMm! Ok, My meatballs, are made with two types of meat. 
#1 - Ground turkey. Easy! Have you seen the roll's of ground turkey in the frozen section next to the turkeys? In an orange wrapper? Well, if not, get which ever kind you want, but this is what I use.
#2 - Hot ground, Italian Sausage. I usually find this by the Kielbasa and bratwurst. 
With this combination, they are de-flipping-lishish. Or fan-tabulous (I just heard that one on Paula Deen..lol) Knee knocken, back slapping delicious (also heard just now on Paula Deen.. haha)

Ok Ok, what's in these meat balls. Super simple. I first dice an onion and brown it with some olive oil in a pan. Once soft (cause John hates onions) I add it to my meat combination (a pound of each). 
I also add
1/4 cup Worcestershire  sauce
1 Egg
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic salt
1 tsp pepper
2 tbsp A-1 steak sauce
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
and about 1 cup of Italian flavored bread crumbs. 
Mix this all together. You may want to add less or more of the bread crumbs. Add a little at a time and mix everything together. 
Once mixed and at a still moist consistency, it's time to roll them You can make them as big or as small as you want, that part is up to you. But I do pop them back in the pan that we saute'd the onions in and brown them on all sides as I am making them. Once browned they go on a cookie sheet and in the oven at 350.


Now bake time will depend on how large you make these meatballs. I usually make them pretty small and only cook them for 20 or 30 mins. 
Then, I put them back in that famous saute pan or actually I think it would be a covered skillet that I use. 
Then I would add the spaghetti sauce of your choice to the skillet, and season the sauce as you like. I just use some jar ragu, then amp it up with lots of the usual Italian seasonings like basil and oregano as well as lots of garlic salt and powder. 
I just simmer the sauce with the meatballs while I cook my pasta. After that, it's a delicious dinner. My meatballs are always a hit and I really think the meat combination has a lot to do with it!



A twist to my day was the dinner I made at breakfast time! Today, the MSAP, Marine Spouse group that I belong to, made lunch for the people staying at the Ronald McDonald House. I decided to make my yummy Chicken Enchiladas. As I think now, I really wish I had made extra. Although tonight's dinner will be delicious, the Chicken Enchilada's is one of those 'Darlene Famous" meals that people always want me to make. Right up there with my Taco's  and now the new Curry dishes I have been making. 


I will be sure to share all of these recipes with you soon, IF you want them.. LOL Until then, Happy cooking!! 




 

No comments:

Post a Comment